Monday, May 5, 2008

Thoughts on a modern boy's education

Now, I don't say this to brag. I say this because I'm scared, and it's one of the most uncomfortable things about being me.

Up to this semester, I had taken five classes as a graduate student: Topics in Creative Writing (Fiction), Folklore Seminar (Supernatural), Poetry Writing, Practicum in Teaching English, and Topics in Creative Writing (Nonfiction). I got an A in each class. Now, I have another A in Topics in a Poetry Writing Workshop (it's written "Poetry Writting" on my unofficial transcript; sometimes I feel like I go to a Mickey Mouse college). I only have one more grade to get, and that was in my hardest course this semester. Most of the time, I wouldn't worry so much about getting an A. That's life; every now and then, I don't do as well as I would have liked. And this semester, it wouldn't be because I wasn't good enough, it would be because I frankly didn't try as hard as I should have.

On the other hand, it's a matter of pride now. Once I have a streak like that going, I'd feel like a failure if I didn't keep it up. I can't stand being anything but the best. I don't say this gladly; I recognize it as a personal weakness, but as far as weaknesses go, it's a much better one than mediocrity or apathy. In fact, I feel a bit sick to my stomach thinking about it. For the time being, I'm glad my last grade hasn't been posted. Once it is, I won't have to worry about grades again until the end of the summer. Yay!

Of course, that presupposes that I won't start worrying in advance...

1 comment:

  1. I hope you got an A. If not, B-dawg is no longer hangin wit' yo crew.

    ReplyDelete