Sunday, May 11, 2008

In Honor of Mother's Day

In honor of Mother's Day, I wanted to express my deep appreciation for my own mother. It is thanks to her that I developed my lifelong interest in books, and if I ever actually finish and publish a novel, I'll have to dedicate the first one to her. I was a pretty mixed-up kid, and it was my mum's constant support and faith in me that helped me become the mixed-up young man I am today.

Also of note on Mother's Day is another story about deep devotion to a mother. Robert E. Howard, tough-guy Texan and writer of the Conan stories and other tales of hard men, was devastated by his mother's long convalescence. When she slipped into a coma the doctors said she wouldn't come out of, Howard went outside and shot himself. I find that deeply moving, and it shows that even the manliest of men can have a huge soft spot for his mum.

Isn't blogging great? Where else could I write a suicide story in honor of Mother's Day?

1 comment:

  1. You haven't been listening to Gloomy Sunday have you?

    ReplyDelete