Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Netflix Charges Extra for Blu-Ray

Dear [Bluefish],

As you may know, Blu-ray movies are more expensive than standard definition movies. As a result, we're going to start charging $1 a month (plus applicable taxes), in addition to your monthly membership charge, for unlimited access to Blu-ray movies.

The additional charge for unlimited Blu-ray access will be automatically added to your next billing statement on or after November 5th, 2008 and will be referenced in your Membership Terms and Details. If you wish to continue getting Blu-ray movies for $1 a month more, you don't need to do anything. If not, you can remove Blu-ray access anytime by visiting Your Account at the Netflix website.

If you have questions about this change or need any assistance, please call us anytime at 1-888-638-3549.

-The Netflix Team


I don't like this. I don't like this at all. I have a beautiful high-definition television and a Blu-ray player (my PS3), so I enjoy watching the remarkable clarity that is Blu-ray every now and then. On the other hand, I love old movies, Asian films, and esoteric films, none of which are generally available in Blu-ray format. I watch a Blu-ray movie perhaps once every other month, so as things stand, I would be paying two dollars extra for the chance to watch the higher definition.

I don't want to give up watching Blu-ray but I don't want to pay more for my Netflix membership. Aar! By me hook, this be encouragin' me to try fishin' in another of the seven seas.

Now, for a little analysis. To me, this suggests that Blu-ray isn't catching on, or else it would be moving toward becoming the dominant, standard medium rather than the one we pay extra for. What's preventing it? I think it's probably three things. First, people still don't have Blu-ray players and/or HD TVs. Second, most movies are still only on DVD, which means Blu-ray is more an occasional treat than a meat-and-potatoes experience. Third, streaming video over the internet is starting to compete with solid-form (VHS, DVD, and Blu-ray) media.

Does this mean Blu-ray will be the last big format that you can touch? Or will the next big thing pass Blu-ray by, like DVD did laserdisk? Or will, perhaps, Blu-ray catch on as the format becomes more common? Only time will tell, my friends. Only time will tell.

What's Bluefish's prediction? Blu-ray won't catch on and we'll get a new major media form in the next twenty years, within which time high-speed internet will be so widespread (and so fast) that streaming HD will be possible and solid-form media will fall away.

1 comment:

  1. My personal take is that Blu-Ray won't catch on (or at least, won't catch on in a big way) simply because for most people (myself included), DVD is "good enough." Admittedly, I've never actually seen anything on Blu-Ray (or HD-DVD for that matter), but I don't feel that I need to because watching things on DVD is plenty sharp and clear for me. I just don't see a need to spend the money to invest in new equipment to enjoy a limited amount of movies in a slightly-better format.

    The transition from VHS to DVD was easy. Same with cassette tape to CD. DVDs and CDs have strong, clear advantages over VHS and cassette tapes. Clarity is only one of these advantages. As far as I understand, clarity is the only advantage of Blu-Ray over DVD, and for me, that's just not enough to be worth it.

    ReplyDelete