Monday, April 7, 2008

It Finally Happened: Video Games in Movies

I watched Avalon today. If a movie made in Poland by a Japanese crew with Polish actors about a virtual-reality war game sounds like a terrible waste of time to you, that's because it is. BUT something remarkable occurred while I was watching this movie. I realized it was the first time I have seen an accurate portrayal of what a video game is really like in a movie. They correctly used phrases like "experience points" and the levels really were video game-like levels. They even had different classes of characters, although what, exactly, those different classes do was kind of vague. There was a Mage class, for instance, that never did anything magey. No, I don't think that's a word, either.

The movie itself was just a SFX movie with pretty mid-range SFX. Watch The Matrix on one TV and Tron on the other, and you'll have a much better experience without missing anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment