Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Avatar, no!

I've heard a rumor that Avatar: the Last Airbender might be ending. This came to me through Facebook; apparently, the group that does the music for Avatar said that they were wrapping up doing the music for the "final episodes," which "will not disappoint."

Does this mean I won't give up hope for a fourth season? No way. But still, realistically, it looks like this might be the end for our heroes! I have to admit, I've been getting a bit of a weird vibe from the latest episodes. It seemed at the end of the second season that they were setting up for a much longer story. No spoilers, but things weren't exactly going the way our heroes might have hoped. Now, in the third season, it does feel like things have shifted to a much more direct (and, if I may say, a bit hurried) conclusion. Does this mean the show isn't awesome? Absolutely not; it's still my favorite show in television, even more than Battlestar Galactica. It does mean that it's going to break my heart if it ends, and particularly if it doesn't have an end worthy of the show. I want something epic, yet profound. Adventure and story all mixed together. And no "remember who you are!" nonsense.

More than anything, I'm really worried that the end will feel rushed or will leave plots unfinished. They should just take their time and make a fourth season. Water, Earth, Fire... we need an AIR SEASON! It's only obvious.

Wikipedia says that Avatar is making a lot of money as a franchise. Why end the cartoon now? So they can make a live-action movie? Give me a break.

Appa! Yip, yip!

On an unrelated note, they did finally publish the writing contest awards. They actually did it later the same day that I wrote my gripe. Did they listen? I call it coincidence. I didn't win in any other category. I'm very disappointed. As much as I want to keep up appearances as the artist himself and just shrug it off, I can't help but think that if I can't even place on a University-level, how am I ever going to write something that's loved by millions?

1 comment:

  1. But Aang already knows Air, so what would he be trying to accomplish in the Air season? And what else is there, heart? Captain Planet? I agree that they should keep the show going. I'm just not sure how they'd manage it.

    ReplyDelete