Friday, April 18, 2008

Dream on....

I happened across an old write-up I had done of one of my dreams. I often think back to this dream, struck by its strangeness and generally striking creativity and story. I keep meaning to write a story based on it, but then I put it off (as I do so many things). Whenever I think of it, I think of it as a dream I had recently. But today I checked the date of the actual dream, and it was more than three years ago. Has it really been so long?

Sometimes I have the feeling the world ended for me in 1999. I still see things that came out in the 90's and think, "That was only a few years ago!" New Year's Eve 1999-2000 was perhaps the high point of my life. It wasn't anything that happened to me: I was at a party my parents went to full of people I didn't know. But there was a feeling that the world was going to be fresh and new, and the entire world was celebrating just being here and having something to celebrate together. It was before 9/11, and I sincerely thought that if the world could move past all of that hate and pettiness for a day, as we did on December 31, we could do so forever, and have a better world. It was a naive feeling, but a beautiful feeling, too, and one that I miss so much that sometimes I just want to cry. In those days, the Internet felt fresh and beautiful, like a meadow after it rains, a meadow with a creek and moss.

Because those are the most beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment