Saturday, April 4, 2009

A "Review" of Street Fighter IV

My friends recently rented Street Fighter IV for the PS3, and since neither of them has a PS3, we've been playing it at my apartment, and they left it here for the weekend.

When I was a kid, I spent hours in front of this game. On the rare occasion I had quarters, I'd play, mashing buttons like a fiend and usually getting my ass not so much handed to me as shoved in my face by older kids who knew what the hell they were doing. More often than not, I watched those kids playing each other. I wanted to think that, one day, I, too, could make those cartoon characters beat the crap out of each other as well as they could.

It's past two o'clock in the morning. I've been trying to beat the final boss with Abel since 1:00. I finally did it. I've been swearing more than I probably have all year. I said things aloud to the screen that I never thought I'd say to anyone. I've railed, I've seethed, I've punched the air. I have Nintendo thumb so much my left thumb is literally purple.

But I finally beat that sonofabitch Seth. I unlocked the last character it's fairly(!) easy to unlock. I feel like I accomplished something epic. I feel like long poems will be written in heroic couplets about this day. The day Seth met Able, and, after a grueling war that lasted long into the night, stood victorious.

And unlocked some sad dumbass Bruce Lee wannabe I will never bother playing as.

2 comments:

  1. This is how I reacted and felt when I played Soul Calibur. I have no idea which one it was, but it had Link in it, and he has got to be the cheapest character ever. You can easily throw someone out of the ring in 3 seconds if you are cheap, er, skilled enough. Some of the levels were just ridiculous: the landmine mode, the beat several other characters with just one life, etc. Sigh. I finally got to the last boss, but I couldn't even beat him. Thankfully one of my brothers showed up and beat him for me--otherwise I would have lost my mind!

    kaw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fei Long is a finely tuned machine, sir. Congratulations with the victory, and I'm sorry if I undercut it with the discovery of the "Easiest" setting. But such mistakes are part of progress.

    Next stop, Gouken.


    Russ

    ReplyDelete