Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Oh, no!

I'm starting to become bored with technology. I feel like I'm at a point where I don't really want the next big thing. Maybe it's just that I've been too thoroughly disappointed with too many new, cool gadgets; not things I've bought, but things I looked forward to, and ultimately felt let down by. Or maybe it's just that there are such obvious strains of internet memes that none of it feels new or cool any more. Even "All Your Base" just feels like an old, tattered stuffed animal that I still get out now and then just because I used to like it so much.

I have a feeling this is fairly inevitable for our generation. We are so inundated with technology that, sooner or later, we're going to come to the realization that we don't really need any of it. The other day, I was in the Apple store thinking of buying an iPod Touch. The expert there made it sound miraculous (I think he even used that word) and told me, "I guarantee you'll love it." When I really thought about it, though, it simply didn't appeal to me. I don't feel rushed into checking the internet all the time: Facebook and MySpace are so quiet that I think I see tumbleweeds and old-timers sitting on the porch saying, "Yep. I reckon." I don't want to check my e-mail more than I already do because there's simply no point to it. And frankly, I hardly listen to music any more. It's just something I can't find much passion in. In the end, I decided that a $300 gadget I really wouldn't use all that much would be a bad investment.

Even today, I had a moment where I thougth to myself, "I should play some PS3." But then I realized that playing felt a bit like a chore, and I would much rather be reading a book, so I read some Soon I Will Be Invincible instead, and thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment