Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Cyberpunk Radio

"Disregard the mainstream: media distorted." Not exactly original, but a pretty good line from a reggae/rap thing that was also in the podcast.

When I first checked out the Cyberpunk Radio SF podcast on iTunes, I wasn't very impressed. The first one that it played was episode 104, which started with a mashup of Obama's speeches counterpointed against the ravings of his minister. On that note, I have only to loosely quote Socrates when I say that I disapprove of his warmongering and his discontent. That was followed by some shitty pseudo-noise that I suppose was supposed to sound unreal and cool, followed by crappy rap. Overall, the radio seems to be a mix of music, soundbyte mashups, and dystopian-slanted rants about modern news and changes.

I tried episode 103, which set off with an absolutely awesome "story" about the cyborg insects that the military is building for remote control. It was ... well, it was cyberpunk. The voice was mildly distorted to make it more cyberpunky, and it used expressions like, "Do you know what this really means, meat-puppets?" and "this is the data-stream." But it followed that with a music choice with a genre I couldn't even begin to explain, a pseudo-blues, pseudo-punk piece of shit with some theme about beer and a deadbeat dad. Talk about a buzzkill. Next came a soundbite mashup about Bush's warmongering and nanobots. THEN another bit of awesome: mixing in Pink Floyd's "Welcome to the Machine" with cyberpunk messages advertising this radio, topped off with some weird techno. It was fucking cool.

Final word? No final word yet. But final link: http://www.mental-escher.net/cyberpunkradio/

Enjoy the data-stream, chipheads.

Also, where credit is due: a comment on a post on Kawaika's blog. A comment from one of the guys involved, apparently. When I said your music was sometimes shit, bro... well, actually, it was. Them's the breaks.

Something completely different: Maybe there's some truth to the dire warnings about a future of computer uprisings. It looks like laser printers are illegally downloading Iron Man (but not really; the university just rigged their IPs to make it look that way). Big Brother is watching you. And he's also watching your printer.

3 comments:

  1. You can snag links and topics from posts and comments without linking to my blog if you want. I don't really care that much about it.

    My first thought: It isn't cyberpunk music. I was hoping that it would be a cyberpunk music station; I'll listen to more of it later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "When I first checked out the Cyberpunk Radio SF podcast on iTunes, I wasn't very impressed. The first one that it played was episode 104, which started with a mashup of Obama's speeches counterpointed against the ravings of his minister. On that note, I have only to loosely quote Socrates when I say that I disapprove of his warmongering and his discontent."

    Actually, that was both Obama's and McCain's pasters' dueling hate speech- equal time.

    Glad you enjoyed the stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stand corrected.

    I'm still listening to the podcasts, so you lot are clearly doing something right!

    ReplyDelete