Saturday, March 22, 2008

Thoughts

I saw a commercial on TV for something that's "hand-blown." You really have to wonder how they can manage that. I know there's the guy in Pan's Labyrinth with eyes in his hands, but this takes it to a whole new level. Mouths in your hands? Does the esophagus run all the way up the hand?

Late-night G4 has commercials for hookup lines. One of the tag-lines was "Meet REAL girls!" I guess they know that their audience might have difficulty differentiating real girls from the other kind. Here's a hint, guys. The girl in math class? Real. Lara Croft? Not real. Angelina Jolie? Mostly real.

Being a geek always gets better. Video games are constantly becoming more beautiful, more interactive, more interesting, and just more engaging. Seriously, though, does anybody ever think of the one-handed geek? What about the blind geek? I can imagine that for the average guy, losing an arm doesn't take away his ability to watch football or hang around drinking beers. But for a geek, it's socially crippling. Not only does it halve one's talking speed (typing, of course), but it makes being a 1337 gamer virtually impossible.

I mean, sure, they had that program special about some blind kid who was really good at Soul Calibur 2, but one of the kids they had playing him on the show even said that he couldn't figure out how the kid kept pulling off those unblockable moves. What?! They had this kid playing n00bs who don't even know how to execute an unblockable? No wonder he kicked ass. If they would have given me a controller, I would have kicked his ass. Just keep walking around him until he loses track of your position, gets frustrated, and throws out a few attacks. Step in when he's vulnerable in the middle of a combo and lay on the hurt. Once you break his flow, he won't recover. Yes, I actually put thought into how to kick a blind kid's ass in SC2. What next?

People need to start coming to me for ideas about writing comics. I leaf through comics and say to myself that the stuff I come up with is much better. Yes, I'm probably the only one who thinks so. But if you're desperate for ideas, get in touch. I've got this one involving demons. You won't be disappointed. Or maybe you will, but if you're wondering where all that came from, it's really from my watching G4 and them talking about comics, but I'll pretend it's a built-up frustration from my constant effort to find someone to do the art for my webcomics ideas.

Here's an exchange of messages that happened a while back with the guy who promised to do a volume for me, but didn't do a single page. Not even a single frame.

Him: How's the comic going?
Me: I might ask you the same thing. Or are you asking whether I chose anyone else to do the art after I stopped hearing from you? I didn't.

And that was it. After half a year of not hearing from him, waiting for ages to see some sort of progress from him beyond basic head concept sketches, I got nothing. And I've still gotten nothing. Maybe I'll send him a message.

Okay, here's what I just emailed him:

Hi,
Did you ever get more work done on that comic we had planned? Or, even if not, are you working on anything comic-like? No hard feelings if you've decided to go back on making the comic, but I'd like to know if that's the case, so I can try to move on with the project.

Okay, so I lied about the no hard feelings thing, but I never tell people when I'm really pissed at them. Maybe I should. But enough people hate me as it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment