Sunday, March 30, 2008

Conspiracy Theory?

Maybe tobacco companies that are forced to spend money to make anti-smoking ads make them purposefully obnoxious. These in-your-face commercials featuring starry-eyed young people making outrageous public statements against evil companies thereby operate on a reverse-psychology principle: by making you want to cringe and change the station, the commercials create a subliminal connection between people speaking out against drugs and just being plain annoying. Therefore, if a concerned friend tells you to stop smoking, you'll associate them with people you just want to go away.

It's brilliant, I tell you! Not that I actually believe it.

The other day, my professor thought he was being profound by saying that sometimes you just don't know how much you believe something. That was supposed to be eye-opening, like we all go around in our non-enlightened states thinking that we know what we believe and how much we believe it. Well, maybe I'm just unusual, but I frequently reflect on the fact that I'm really not sure how much I believe something. Is it unsettling? A little. Is it unusual and creepy? Not really.

No comments:

Post a Comment