Friday, December 25, 2009

Airing of Grievances

Two of my friends have posted on Facebook that, according to Seinfeld, Christmas is the time of an airing of grievances. I think this sounds good, but I don't have any grievances that are light enough to post merely on Facebook. I thought I'd post here instead, to write how I really feel.

After all, though I may have petty grievances against all sorts of annoyances in my life, my biggest grievance is against myself. No one has harmed me or disappointed me more than I have this past year. It's a sobering thought, but there it is.

I'm not angry or miserable about any of it. In life, we fall but we get back up, and so shall I. There could be no joy without sorrow, no success without failure, and so I look forward to doing even better with all I have learned from my shortcomings. And that, maybe, is something to be grateful for this Christmas.

So, this Christmas, my biggest grievance is against myself, but that's not so bad. Merry Christmas.

3 comments:

  1. That's what new year's is for.... with all those silly resolutions. Whatever your grievances are against yourself, you're still a very awesome person and I count myself lucky to know you. although I need to be better at keeping in touch! (ooh, resolution potential ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, i agree. i think i really failed myself colossally from about 9/08-9/09. i feel like i've only begun to pull my head out of my ass in the past couple months.
    i talked to a friend about this, and she said to me that she thinks that this happens to everyone, and we have to give ourselves the time to experience it, and understand why it happened, or else we run the risk of prolonging it. i think there's some truth to this, though i really didn't want to hear it, i just wanted to move on.
    in any case, i really want to make this next year much better, and i'm trying to figure out how to do that. i think i've got a few ideas, but a lot of it involves personal work on insecurities and motivations and so forth which i'm not particularly looking forward to. sigh. but hopefully i will be a better person for it.
    good luck with your next year, i'll be interested to hear how you do.
    pax.

    ReplyDelete