Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Not an Ideal Circumstance

Just a few minutes ago, I set about making myself something to eat. Not having finished off the bacon I bought maybe a week and a half ago, I took it out of my fridge to find that it had gone green. It didn't smell awful (it didn't really smell at all), so I asked myself just what could have happened to it. Is a week and some in a fridge too much for some slices of dead pig to handle? Even more perplexing, was it still edible despite the color change? I decided to throw some strips on the frying pan to see if they returned to their natural color with a little heat.

You're probably thinking that I'm crazy, and green food is bad for you, but I learned early on that green food isn't so bad. A very sage man named Seuss (he's a Doctor, people!) informed me that eating green eggs and ham isn't injurious to my health; if it was, the little boy could just have said "I will not eat it, Sam-I-Am. I will not eat green eggs and ham, because it could probably kill me, and I don't want to risk it." Instead, the boy provides the much weaker argument that he simply does not like green eggs and ham, suggesting that, apart from taste preferences, green eggs are perfectly safe to eat.

Of course, I came to my senses soon enough and threw out my green bacon, but it did give me pause.

Completely unrelated:

Whenever I write a blog post, I'm filled with blog fever all day and am full of ideas for more blogs. I pass them up, however, not wanting to post more than one a day and make my loyal readers feel overwhelmed. However, after that day has gone by, my ideas and my desire to write about them both seem to go away.

It's like my old rule for writing: if I want to finish writing something, I make sure to write a sentence a day, no matter what. It's a way of tricking myself into writing. If I aim to write a long time, I feel overwhelmed, or I think I don't have the time for it. But if I only set out to write a sentence, I can accomplish that easily and with very little time, but then I'm already writing, so I keep going.

Let that be my advice to you today, writers out there: write a sentence a day.

4 comments:

  1. That is great advice, sir. Another piece is to follow up on your blog fever. Just put them in word docs and post them later (spread them out). That way if you hit a dry spell you have some material.

    Not that I'd ever do anything like blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blogger also has a feature in which you can tell it to wait before posting a blog, so you don't even have to bother manually posting your bright ideas later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like Russell and Lord Admiral both ninja'd me before I could post my suggestion ... ;-)

    So, before you threw out the bacon, did it return to it's natural color in the frying pan, or not?

    ReplyDelete