Saturday, June 13, 2009

My Newest Fascination

So my good friend has gotten me involved with ficly.com, which is all about writing short stories--VERY short stories. Because they're limited to only 1024 characters (that's like letters, but includes any keystroke), it takes the old excuse of "I don't have time to write a story" and slaps it in the face with a dumptruck. Anyone has time to write 1024 characters. If you have ten minutes, you have time to write a story on ficly.com. It also teaches economy of language, because the writer has to create a character, setting, and plot all in a very limited space. Another interesting dimension of ficly is that anyone can write a 'prequel' or a 'sequel' to any story, so stories become chained together.

I recommend any of you who have an interest in creative writing to check it out. And don't tell me you don't have the time.

3 comments:

  1. But what if I dont have the time? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes me a long time to write, especially when I have such a low word count limit. I signed up as doomfinger and am thinking about what to write...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to ficly! I've really enjoyed your stories so far. Hopefully the site will continue to provide good times for a while yet to come.

    ReplyDelete