Monday, September 22, 2008

lol. noobs.

Earlier this evening, I received an e-mail from someone obviously very confused about the way listserves work. This anonymous person wrote the following e-mail to everyone signed up for the Caine School of the Arts listserv:

I would like to be on this list.
Thank you! :)

I shook my head and smiled, hitting delete. Everyone would understand that someone had made a mistake, I reasoned. A few minutes later, the following, also anonymous e-mail response demonstrated that wasn't the case:

Um what?

=EDIT=

(It gets better:)

i think the system is messed up because i didn't write either of these messages and i don't even know what caine school of arts is.

(And then...)

Did everyone here just get a random message about this?

(And)

I don't want to be on the list

(And even...)

Take me off the list. I don't know what this is
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

=EDIT 2=

I finally got sick of receiving these idiotic e-mails (I got five in less than ten minutes at one point), so I sent out the following:

Due to the nature of this mailing list, every reply that you send to these messages will rebound to a great many people. We who are receiving your e-mails do not have any way of knowing who you are, let alone of removing you from the list. Please, if you have an issue with the service, contact a webmaster from the Caine School of the Arts about it. For the sake of everyone's sanity, do not continue to reply to these e-mails.

Only you can prevent more spam. And nobody likes spam. Well, nobody except Monty Python.

2 comments:

  1. So is the Caine School of the Arts listserv like Camelot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan I miss you. I pretty much just laughed my ass off at this post, and I can completely imagine this happening, can totally see your reaction, can hear your voice in your words and makes me miss you and miss hanging out so much more.

    ReplyDelete