Monday, May 18, 2009

Viable Alternatives

Today, I woke up at around ten thirty. I played Fallout 3 on my PS3 until 5:30 in the afternoon, barely pausing for bathroom breaks, and not eating or drinking anything. I also didn't change out of my pajamas. When I was done, I felt very hungry and rather disoriented. Then I read a book for a while.

And I enjoyed reading much, much more than I enjoyed playing the video game.

Is there something wrong with me? Or am I just more literary and less digital than I think I am?

To lie back from the world, listening only to the sound of my own thoughts and the dry rustle of pages turning, to immerse myself so deeply in a book to the point that I no longer see the page but the scene that the words are weaving, this is a pleasure unique and wondrous.

3 comments:

  1. You left out an important detail: what book are you reading that is so much better than shooting radioactive mutants in the post-apocalypse?

    ReplyDelete
  2. no, i think it's that electronics are addictive. i would rather read or draw than be on my computer all day, but which do you suppose will win out?
    the interesting question is "why", to which i have no answer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanna know what you are reading...

    ReplyDelete