Friday, February 6, 2009

Christian Bale

I don't usually talk about real life on this blog, let alone make my own comments about a celebrity incident, but I feel valid talking about the infamous Christian Bale outburst because it's been made into so many remixes on YouTube, and that makes it part of cyberculture. What is it about the event that I find so compelling (and that causes so many people to put time and effort into remixing it)? I think it's two things. The first is meanspirited: we like to see people on pedestals brought low and shamed. The second is more sympathetic: we understand what it's like to lose control, and in many ways, we idenify with Christian. Like the infamous Bus Uncle becoming a quirky sort of hero in Hong Kong, we all live in a very high-stress corporate world, one that's only gotten worse since the recession. And I think that we all, deep down, also feel like just exploding at people and letting them know just how we're feeling.

I like Christian Bale. I like his movies, and he's always seemed like a decent guy in his interviews. I have a terrible temper myself, and I know the struggle of having that deep inside. What he said was stupid, crude, and inexcusable. And the thing I like best about this regrettable situation is that Christian himself admits that. He didn't make excuses or try to defend what he did; he said that he acted like a punk, and he regrets it.

We all have terrible moments, Christian Bale, when we become our own worst enemies. I can only imagine what it would be like to have my own worst moments ridiculed by thousands of people. You're you did right sucking it up and admitting you were at fault. Good on you, mate.


News story of his apology

1 comment:

  1. I still think that such an outburst is a sign of poor character, regardless of how well he handled it afterward.

    ReplyDelete