Monday, December 1, 2008

Novel FAIL

As much as I wanted to write a 50,000 word novel this November for National Novel Writing Month, I didn't make it. I could complain about having too much to do (I had my thesis defense and a lot of papers to grade, primarily), but that's not right. I have long been a believer in the fact that you find time to do the things you really want to do, and I just didn't come through.

That being said, over the last three days I dedicated myself to trying to get as close to 50,000 words as I could. I only started with around 16,000 and I told myself that I could do it if I really tried. On the last day, with the seconds counting down, I told myself that if only I reached 30,000, I wouldn't be an utter failure. When I saw the clock in the corner of my screen hit 12:00, I finished the word I was typing and took my hands off the keyboard. Microsoft Word told me I had exactly 30,000 words. Spooky.

That still doesn't disguise the fact that I was 20,000 words short of victory.

Cyberpunk FAIL.

That being said, I did learn an important thing. The key to cyberpunk is that feeling of hot tech. Of course, it's more than that. The two keys (or so I think right now) to making a scene feel cyberpunk are making it feel techy and making it feel crowded.

Oh, and also run down.

The three keys to cyberpunk....


Now, for something completely different:

One of my favorite websites.

There are fewer than 80 characters in the full HTML of the site.

Yakuza front for secret data smuggling, or just a really awesome website? You decide.

2 comments:

  1. But it doesn't validate! http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.something.com%2F&charset=(detect+automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0

    It's a shame about your novel. You should finish it anyway. I definitely want to know what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I opened the other link and seriously stared at the screen for about five minutes waiting for something to happen. Hope you enjoy the completely confused look you can only imagine on my face.

    Now - for something completely different:
    SEND ME YOUR ADDRESS!
    Isn't typing in all caps in the virtual world a form of screaming loudly. I am mailing you a Christmas Card whether you want it or not...now, if I only knew where to mail it to....

    ReplyDelete