Monday, February 11, 2008

So, here I am.

Today was just another day. Or is, rather, seeing as how it's not done yet. Sometimes I wonder whether I'll have enough in my head to fill a blog. After all, I don't have any causes that I would want to support. I don't believe in them; I believe in ideals. Causes divide people, and concentrating on one problem obscures the others. So therefore, I believe in a few things, although those things tend to change and shift depending on my mood. As Groucho Marx famously said, "Those are my values. If you don't like them, I have others." Or something along those lines.

More than anything, I regret that I have been born in an age where things are in such flux. Of course, the feelings I have are natural to such a time: I feel drawn one way by the grace of bygone times and the romance that surrounds them, and I feel drawn the other way by the awe-inspiring promise of the future. And then, looming over all of that, is the inevitability of evil and the sheer inescapable majesty of change.

I wish I lived in Tokyo, or some other city that feels so now. The place I live feels very then. Sometimes I want to walk up to people on the street and shake them, shouting, "People have landed on the moon! We've split the atom! Cloning is feasible! Take a look around at the world you think you are protecting with your conservativism. It's not there any more!" And the world I said that in will, too, be gone before I even know it.

I think back to the birth of the internet, and the way it was in the early days. Websites were mostly run by techies and other geeks. It felt innocent and fun, like the novelty still glowed on it. I think that's the way it still is, on the edges, but it's like a fungus that's grown far beyond where it began, and it only still glows far beyond the places most of us travel.

The idea is to travel there. It is the final frontier, and the ultimate frontier: the more we seek it, the more it expands.

Never stop seeking.

No comments:

Post a Comment